Unitec Marae

Unitec Marae
The Marae at Unitec

Monday 14 May 2007

Week Ten Text Blog Entry Eight - an article about my country in the international press

I'm sure you would have all seen the coverage last week on NZ TV of the British Queen's state visit to the US.

Here is a link to an article in the American press covering the visit and one from the British press. I choose these articles because I found George Bush's gaffe or slip of the tongue rather amusing. As he was recounting previous visits of the Queen, in particular the one in 1976 for the bicentennial celebrations for the country's founding, he nearly said she had been there then in 1776 for the Declaration of Independence, ageing her quite considerably! To his credit Bush acknowledged his mistake and managed to reedem himself by saying 'she gave me a look only a mother could give a child.'
The Queen got her own back later at a dinner at the British Embassy in Washington when she began her toast to the first couple by saying "I wondered whether I should start this toast by saying, 'When I was here in 1776,"

171 words including quotes

No comments: